Sunday, October 23, 2011

Another Possible Career Plan

This week in class we had a guest speaker talk to us through an online audio connection about teaching in an online school. Her name was Beth Day, and she presented online teaching in a way I had never considered. She said her primary motivation for switching from a brick-and-mortar school to an online school was the ability to stay home with her children. By teaching online, her love for mommying her own children and her love for teaching others don't conflict. With my own heart for children, and a strong desire for some of my own one day, I took notice of this benefit of online teaching. It definitely peaked my interest-- the thought of staying home with my children but still having a career in education.
However, since I am primarily interested in teaching kindergarten, I wondered about how I could teach children so young without face-to-face interaction. Can they even navigate within the technology used for online schooling? How would arts and crafts projects be done on their own? And how could they experience the social interaction with their peers that is so crucial for development?
Concerning my technological concerns, Beth shared that young children are surprisingly adept at using computers and navigating the technology. The online school in which she teaches is K-12, and there hasn't been any major concerns or issues about the younger children using their software. Also, when asked if she would send her own children to an online or brick-and-mortar school, she had a thought-provoking response. She said she would send her older, healthy daughter to a brick-and-mortar school. However, her younger daughter was born with complications that would make it difficult for her to function normally in such a setting, and that if forced to choose in that moment, she would prefer an online education for her.
An online education as an alternative for children with special medical needs or disabilities was a possibility I had never considered. Online schools could provide a greater chance for interaction and one-on-one guidance by someone who might be more qualified than a parent, while allowing the child to stay at home where more attention can be given to their medical needs.
All of these thoughts have led me to consider teaching online as a greater possibility for me than I ever have before.

1 comment:

  1. I can understand how using this program for kindergarteners can be a problem. Some of these online classrooms can be a little complicated, especially for a 6 year old. But since Beth Day said that younger children have not had any problems, then children that young can have online classes.

    ReplyDelete